- About us
History of the Museum of Communication
- In 1893 the Swiss Postal Administration began to collect objects and documents related to the postal and transport systems, as well as philately.
- In 1907 the first Post Museum was established in the Bollwerk Post building in Berne.
- From 1949 on it was called the «Swiss PTT Museum»; the telecommunications collection was added.
- In 1990 the museum moved to its new building in the Helvetiastrasse 16.
- In December 1996 the PTT-Museum was changed into a foundation. It was renamed the «Museum of Communication» in March 1997. This marked the beginning of a new era in the museum's policy, uniting historical consciousness with new and current issues.
- May 2003: Opening of the new permanent exhibition «so near and yet so far: People and their Media».
- May 2007: Opening of the new permanent exhibitions «As Time Goes Byte» and «Imagery that Sticks».